Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Things work better… when you know how to operate them. Take Control Ladies! (we really could run things *wink*)

Ok so ladies… as of late I’ve happened upon a lot of either helpful, clarifying, or confirming information about men. How they think, they’re M.O., how to deal with them, etc. I’ve had some interesting conversations with some of my guy friends, met some different guys through various activities I’ve started participating in, and pondered on things said or actions made in my own relationships with certain men. Then, my mom recommended I read Steve Harvey’s book “Act Like A Lady, Think Like A Man.” While I read Mr. Harvey’s book, a lot of things that us girls think long and hard over suddenly made so much sense. This was mostly because of the way he expressed his thoughts. 

  

steve-harvey-act-like-a-lady-think-like-a-man

Oddly enough, I came to realize that I already knew just about everything that was addressed in Mr. Harvey’s book. These were all things that made perfect sense to me because they were all things that my father had told me, things that I recall from a classic Eddie Murphy stand up flick, things that at one point or another some mate of mine has said or hinted at in a way that made me take him less than serious or laugh it off even. But in my recent encounters and readings, I took everything in. Personally, I think that my reception was heightened because the medium in which the message was conveyed was one of honesty, casualty and realness. This, by the way is all I ask for from everyone and you’d be surprised how hard it is to get… but that’s another blog.

What I get from Steve Harvey’s book, from talking to my guy friends, from every “how to handle your man”, or “why do men cheat” joke is this….

Men are VERY SIMPLE creatures…. VERY…SIMPLE… CREATURES.

When it comes to relationships with them, you pretty much are in control of how things go from sun up to sun down.

The main gist of  “Act Like A Lady, Think Like A Man” is just what the title says.

FIRST STEP: ACT LIKE A LADY…. You gotta have your stuff together!!! You want a man? BE A WOMAN! Have standards, KNOW who you are, what you like, and what you won’t stand for. You can’t bring anybody else into the mix and expect them to know what you like and dislike if you yourself don’t know those things. A lot of the times, we are the ones that make things more complicated than what they are. We sit, cry, nag, bitch, wine, complain, shout and rave about how men are no good without taking the tiniest glimpse in the mirror. We fail to think upon how we may, or may not (you know I’m not taking ALL the blame as a woman…lol) be contributing the issue..

SECOND STEP: THINK LIKE A MAN…. Things work better when you understand them. When you know how they work, you’re better able to utilize them, and get what you want from them. Think about it, machines, technology, musical instruments, rowdy children, anything. Well, it’s the same with people. The more you know about a person, the more you can benefit from your interactions and relationships with that person; and know which ones to avoid. You know what to say or not say, do or not do. Now, here’s the beauty, it’s even simpler with men. It only takes so much to know a few basic “rules’ and concepts to understand how men work. You know why men get away with a lot, or why they do some of the crazy things they do?? It’s because they can! They understand, basically, how we women work. They know that they can only push as far as WE let them. And they know how to get us to let them push. Thus, you have women who are afraid to speak up in certain aspects for fear that he’ll leave, or another one will do what you won’t.  They know what they can and can’t do with a lady because each lady will let them know in some way or another. And that’s what they go by, in a nutshell. So the question becomes, what is it that YOU are saying?? (This where the first step comes into play). See how it works?? They know how we work… know how to use their tools and toys… but why should they have all the fun?? ;-)

 

So basically, we yield the control. No disrespect Mr. Brown, but this is a WOMAN’S world. Ladies, you want someone to take your hand??… then TAKE THE REIGNS :)

No comments:

Post a Comment